Our Ultimate Guide to the Best CBD Patches
As technologies grow, the CBD industry never stops surprising us with new products. Up until now, CBD patches have remained far less known compared to other cannabidiol-infused products, such as traditional CBD oils and capsules, and even CBD gummies. But CBD patches are worth knowing about for their tremendous benefits. They are super discreet and assure the highest efficiency in cannabinoid delivery; they even give vaping a run for its money. We expect further growth of CBD patches' production as more people learn about their unique properties. In this article, we will explain to you the benefits of CBD patches and present Alphagreen's curated list to the best market proposals.
What Are CBD Patches?
The idea behind CBD patches is not new. They look like typical band-aids used to stick to an ailing part of the body. The principal difference is that the CBD patches contain a piece of plastic infused with cannabidiol.
Put simply, a CBD patch is a piece of plastic that contains a precise dose of CBD molecules carried on gel or oil, combined with permeation enhancers. Most CBD patches have a high concentration of cannabidiol to ensure a long-lasting effect on the skin. Unlike CBD oils, patches are dry so they can attach to the skin. Most users stick CBD patches on venous parts of the body, such as ankles, arms, and wrists, for a higher absorption rate into the bloodstream.
The body heat activates the patch and releases CBD molecules with other ingredients. As soon as the molecules get absorbed by the skin, they come by straight into the bloodstream, where the body processes the beneficial compounds. Afterwards, you can experience the benefits of CBD and other ingredients, if any.
At the same time, transdermal delivery remains inefficient and slow since the skin barricades different compounds via its powerful protective layers. A well-designed CBD patch must bypass the skin’s protective layers. Therefore, CBD manufacturers add the so-called "permeation enhancers" for an extra push of cannabidiol into the bloodstream. Today, CBD engineers consider permeation enhancers as a breakthrough in CBD delivery since they enhance the skin’s permeability in a short period of time.
What Are the Benefits of CBD Patches?
Overall, CBD patches demonstrate more efficiency compared to other CBD delivery methods. They can last for up to 4 days and take away the stress of calculating the right dosage. Besides, if you want to avoid the effects of smoke or vapour on your lungs and throat, or dislike the taste of CBD oils and other edibles, patches are an attractive alternative.
- Very efficient at cannabinoid delivery
Whenever you apply a CBD patch, you can be sure that approximately 50% of its contents will reach your bloodstream, even without permeation enhancers. CBD vaping, which boasts a similar bioavailability to that of patches at about 50-60%, is still less likely than CBD patches to guarantee the delivery of its CBD molecules to the bloodstream. Although the lungs are generally good at absorbing CBD, the quality of inhaling varies from person to person, and from puff to puff.
As for CBD patches, not only do they deliver cannabinoids directly to the bloodstream with minimal loss of potency, but they also activate the skin cells directly, which is especially valuable for people suffering from skin disorders.
- Ultimate discreteness
CBD patches stand out as one of the most discreet options of CBD consumption. Once you have put a CBD patch under your clothes, you can forget about it for the next 24 hours. There is no need to carry anything in tow like a bottle of CBD tincture or a pack of CBD capsules.
- Stable Long-Term CBD Effects
Unlike CBD inhalation, where the effects of cannabidiol rapidly peak and soon decrease, CBD patches release cannabinoids in a consistent and steady manner over time. Besides, manufacturers can create CBD patches with varying doses and timeframes for versatile therapeutic needs.
Who Can Benefit from CBD Patches?
Most CBD patches are created for the treatment of pain, post-work recovery and intense training. Therefore, CBD patches can help the following groups of people:
- Busy people with tight working schedules looking for efficient methods of stress reduction;
- Patients suffering from chronic pains, joint aches and arthritis;
- Professional athletes looking for restorative treatment without any prohibited compounds after tough physical exercises;
- Amateur athletes in need of post-workout recovery treatment;
- People who are looking to increase body and mind productivity.
What Are the Types of CBD Patches?
Today, CBD markets offer different patches, depending on the materials and structure. The two most common types of CBD patches include matrix patches and reservoir patches.
Matrix patches typically contain five layers: a peel-off protective layer to safeguard CBD, a CBD-infused "matrix" layer, a separating layer, an adhesive layer holding the "matrix" to the skin, and finally, a backing layer. In matrix patches, the rate of CBD release is not accurately controlled. The released dosage will depend on the size of the patch and the amount of CBD contained inside the matrix.
Reservoir patches have only three layers: a peel-off layer, an adhesive layer, and a protective backing layer. However, the permeable release membrane remains the key element of reservoir patches. In particular, manufacturers fine-tune the release membrane to control the rate of CBD delivery at a steady pace. Compared to matrix patches, reservoir patches are better at controlling the pace of CBD release.
How to Use CBD Patches
Though the description of the layers of CBD patches may sound complicated, their use is extremely easy. To apply a CBD patch, all you need to do is to take away the protective film, put the patch to the skin, and wear it for the indicated timeframe, typically ranging from 6 to 96 hours. Furthermore, there are a couple of tricks to get the maximum efficiency of a CBD patch.
The majority of patches work on venous parts of the body where capillaries and blood vessels are located underneath a thin layer of skin, close to the surface. These parts include ankles, shoulders, wrists, upper arms, as well as the back of the neck. However, in certain cases, CBD patches work better when applied directly to the problematic area affected by inflammation or pain. If you need to increase the CBD dosage, you can apply more CBD patches. Equally, you can take away any of the patches at any time if you want to stop the CBD flow.
Whenever you apply a CBD patch, make sure that you thoroughly wash and dry your skin as well as remove any oils or dirt. The important thing to remember is to keep CBD patches away from chlorine and saltwater. To ensure the correct use of both matrix and reservoir CBD patches, follow the below instructions.
- If possible, remove any hair adjoining the aching skin area.
- Clean the skin, preferably with a disinfectant wipe.
- Afterwards, dry the skin.
- Put the patch close to the source of inflammation or pain. If you are a CBD novice willing to try a CBD patch out of curiosity, it is possible to cut a patch into several pieces. In fact, it may be advisable to start with a quarter of a regular dose.
- If the aching area is around an elbow, joint or knee, apply the patch to the less bending body part.
- If the source of inflammation is spread out across a large area instead of being tightly concentrated, place two or three patches for optimal results.
- If you want to use CBD patches for mood and sleep improvement, the site of the patch is unimportant. You can apply a CBD patch anywhere; however, areas where the skin is thinner have faster absorption rates.
Alphagreen’s Curated List to the Best CBD Patches
CBD Content: 10mg per one patch
CBD Type: Broad-spectrum
Test Analysis: On the product page
Ingredients: Aqua, Polyacrylate, Vegan Glycerol
Delivery: The United Kingdom, the European Union
Cannacares CBD Transdermal Patches are excellent at treating localised pain. Equally, they are perfect for alleviating muscle tension, resulting from long periods of sitting or long-distance driving. In many cases, bad posture and the lack of exercise contribute to the escalation of pain, especially in the area of the lower back. A simple application of a transdermal patch to the affected area may relieve such pain and release the tension.
The ingredients of Cannacares CBD Transdermal Patches include broad-spectrum CBD in a moderate concentration. Once placed to the affected area, CBD penetrates into the skin and subsequently into the bloodstream. As a result of the topical application, cannabidiol efficiently interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system for a long time in the affected area.
We love Cannacares CBD Transdermal Patches for assuring quality. The company rigorously follows GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices); hence customers can be confident about the safety of the patches. The GMP board ensures that all manufacturers abide by the rules and provide the best product quality. The GMP rules focus on harm prevention to the user, such as contamination, leakages, or lower permeability.
We love the Cannacares brand for their extensive range of quality CBD products in line with the EU-GMP pharmaceutical standards. Today, the company actively develops distinctive CBD products with unique delivery methods, such as CBD capsules, CBD inhalers, CBD sprays, CBD patches, alongside CBD tinctures and cosmetics. Cannacares is one of the founding members of the Association for the Cannabinoid Industry (ACT) and the Centre of Medicinal Cannabis (CMC). The company plans to grow its brand and expand its product portfolio.
Cannacares is a London-based company, established only in February 2019 by the founder of the UK Fibromyalgia Magazine. The company’s mission is to release top-quality CBD and Medical Cannabis products. Cannacares sources its hemp from the best farms in Holland. Subsequently, the company tests its products in independent UK laboratories for full cannabinoid and terpene profile analysis.
In addition, Cannacares develops a company blog where they debunk popular myths on CBD and inform their readers about the latest events in the CBD industry. So far, the most engaging posts include the role of CBD in a decrease of chronic fatigue, the reduction of cholesterol and alleviation of fibromyalgia.
CBD Content: 25mg CBD per capsule (Cannacares GEL Capsules), 1000mg CBD (Cannacares Full Spectrum CBD Oil Drops), 150mg CBD (Cannacares Multiple Moisturizing Cream), 10mg per patch (Cannacares CBD Patches 4 х 10mg CBD)
Test Analysis: On the product page
Ingredients: Aqua, Polyacrylate, Vegan Glycerol (Cannacares CBD Patches), Bovine Gelatin, Glycerin, MCT Coconut Oil (Cannacares GEL Capsules), Hemp Seed Oil infused with CBD (Cannacares Full Spectrum CBD Oil Drops), Full-spectrum Hemp Extract infused with Magnesium (Cannacares Multiple Moisturizing Cream)
Delivery: The United Kingdom, the European Union
Cannacares CBD Patches & Sample Kit Bundle contains premium CBD products, exceptionally easy to use. All of them are vegan-friendly and certified THC free. Moreover, the bundle is a wonderful financial option to obtain more CBD products at discounted rates. Purchasing the CBD Patches & Sample bundle is cheaper compared to buying each of the bundle’s products separately. In this way, Cannacares helps their customers enjoy the benefits of CBD without breaking the bank.
The ingredients of Cannacares CBD Patches & Sample Kit Bundle include high-quality CBD, extracted from the premium hemp grown in Holland. Cannacares pays particular attention to the cultivation of cannabis since this process requires expert knowledge. For example, qualified farmers usually maintain stable soil pH, create a clean environment free from air pollution, as well as exercise caution when using pesticides. Today, Cannacares cooperates with experienced farmers from Holland specialising in the production of high-quality yield, supported by pre-manufacturing lab tests. The farmers pay particular attention to the quality of soils and follow strict regulatory requirements. Therefore, customers of Cannacares can be sure that the company’s products do not contain toxins or fertilisers.
We love Cannacares CBD Patches & Sample Kit Bundle for the excellent product selection. CBD oil administers the essential nutrients, such as Omega 3 with Omega 6, and thus contributes to a balanced diet. Topical cream infused with CBD helps fight against joint and muscle discomfort. This product is of particular value for people practising yoga and fitness exercises, where muscle tensions are inevitable. CBD capsules offer better cannabinoid absorption rates and are among the fastest ways of modern CBD consumption. CBD patches provide a consistent supply of cannabidiol, so there’s no need to worry about refuelling on more of the product throughout the day - all the work is done for you! They work particularly well for individuals in stressful working environments, without an opportunity to take CBD medications openly.
CBD Content: 40mg per one patch
CBD Type: Full-spectrum
Number of Patches: 1
Test Analysis: On the product page
Ingredients: Aloe Polysaccharides, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Virgin Avocado Oil, Virgin Red Palm Oil, Virgin Sweet Almond Oil, Shea Olein, Sunflower Lecithin
Also available in 5 pack for £52.46
Delivery: Worldwide (on the responsibility of customers)
Pure Ratios 96 Hour Transdermal CBD Patch is an award-winning product, often described as the key to pain-free living. Apply this mighty patch whenever pain inhibits you and prevents you from living an active lifestyle. The product will help you to acquire prolonged relief for 3-4 days due to its waterproof adhesive, meaning you won’t need to change the patch. The 96 Hour Transdermal CBD Patch is additive-free, hypoallergenic, and naturally pure. It helps to manage a variety of conditions, from acne and wounds to casual anxiety. The patch also comes in compact packaging, making it highly portable.
The ingredients of Pure Ratios 96 Hour Transdermal CBD Patch include full-spectrum CBD, allowing for the maximum entourage effect. In addition, the patch contains several beneficial oils, such as Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Virgin Avocado Oil, Virgin Red Palm Oil, and Virgin Sweet Almond Oil. These make the patches’ texture softer, resulting in an overall experience that is smooth and enjoyable.
We love Pure Ratios 96 Hour Transdermal CBD Patch for its ability to restore energy and efficiently reduce pain, even severe forms. This premium patch can be placed anywhere on the body, but the most “productive” zones are above the knee, on the calves, as well as on the back, hips and neck, or any inflamed area. The topical delivery of CBD allows it to skip the digestive process and deliver beneficial cannabinoids straight to the bloodstream. Therefore, CBD patches guarantee a triad of fast-acting intake, potent effects and long-term improvements.
We love the Pure Ratios brand for their herbalist approach to the CBD industry. The San Diego based company aims to provide their customers with the benefits of the Cannabis plant for a balanced lifestyle. Pure Ratios combines the latest scientific research and laboratory testing with knowledge of herbalists and modern design. The company has invested in the advanced research of drug delivery science in order to receive better bioavailability and improve the medical properties of the cannabis plant. Pure Ratios’ founders believe that modern cannabis science has only started, and the cannabis plant awaits future discoveries.
Price: £45.95 (for 30 patches with 10mg CBD each), £54.95 (for 30 patches with 15mg CBD each)
CBD Content: 10mg per patch, 15mg per patch
CBD Type: Broad-spectrum
Number of Patches: 30
Test Analysis: On the product page
Ingredients: Acrylates Copolymer, Aqua (Water), Phenoxyethanol, Polysorbate 20, Vanillyl Butyl Ether
Huna CBD Derma Patches have calming and soothing effects when applied to the skin. The action of the patch lasts for at least 24 hours. Every patch guarantees the slow release of either 10mg or 15mg CBD and consists of 100% organic ingredients. The patches are small and discreet, suitable for handbags. The time-release formula of transdermal patches allows for a steady administration of CBD throughout the day. Hence, customers can forget about taking regular CBD doses. This feature is particularly valuable for people suffering from some sort of continuous bodily discomfort.
The ingredients of Huna CBD Derma Patches include broad-spectrum CBD, which contains a rich spectrum of beneficial cannabis compounds, such as cannabinoids and terpenes. Combined together, they interact and generate the “entourage effect”, which enhances the performance of each active ingredient, especially that of cannabidiol. Also, the patches are gluten-free and vegan-friendly.
We love Huna CBD Derma Patches as they are made from top quality hemp grown on the family farms in Croatia and the Czech Republic, renowned for their fertile soils and abundant summer sunshine. The company takes advantage of the excellent natural conditions and yields a 100% organic hemp extract. We also love Huna Derma patches for the excellent deal of 30 CBD patches in one package. The number of patches is sufficient to carry customers through the month when used reasonably.
We love the Huna brand for their quality-conscious approach to CBD production. The company closely monitors the entire production process from the cultivation of hemp to the packaging. The manufacturers of Huna products strictly abide by the GMP standards. The company employs the most reliable CO2 extraction method to obtain its CBD from hemp. While Huna’s hemp is grown in Croatia and the Czech Republic, the extraction is performed in the United Kingdom.
“Huna” itself means “life force”; therefore, the brand focuses on the production of 100% natural CBD products. As with many CBD brands, the story of Huna started with a serious health condition. Consequently, Huna’s founder decided to establish his own medical cannabis start-up with full control over the cultivation of CBD.
- CBD patches are less known to the public, yet they have an abundance of tremendous benefits. Firstly, they provide the highest efficiency in cannabinoid delivery, even when compared with vaping. Secondly, CBD patches are very discreet.
- CBD patches suit customers who dislike the taste of CBD oils or wish to avoid inhaling smoke or vapour. Studies also show that patch technology maximizes the number of absorbed nutrients.
- CBD patches may appeal to the following groups of people: busy overstressed people with tight working schedules; patients with arthritis and chronic pains; professional athletes looking for recovery treatments without prohibited compounds and fitness lovers looking to wind down post-workout. Also, CBD patches suit new users of cannabidiol, merely wishing to calm their minds and bolster daily productivity.
- CBD patches contain a piece of plastic infused with CBD molecules carried on gel or oil, combined with permeation enhancers. The majority of CBD patches ensure a long-lasting effect through a high cannabidiol concentration.
- CBD patches are dry so that users can attach them to the skin. Most users stick CBD patches on venous parts of the body, such as arms, ankles and wrists to achieve faster absorption.
- As soon as a CBD patch gets attached to the skin, the body heat activates it, and CBD molecules start flowing straight into the bloodstream. Permeation enhancers speed up the CBD release process.
- CBD patches can last for up to four days. Customers do not need to calculate the right dosage since cannabidiol is consistently released over time. Unlike CBD inhaling, with rapid peaks and decreases of CBD effects, the effect of CBD patches remains stable. Manufacturers can create CBD patches with diverse timeframes and doses for various therapeutic purposes.
- There are two types of CBD patches: matrix and reservoir. Matrix patches usually contain five layers. The released CBD dosage depends on the size of the patch and the amount of CBD contained inside the matrix.
- Reservoir patches have only three layers, with the permeable release membrane serving as the key ingredient of the patch. Manufacturers fine-tune the release membrane to control the pace of CBD delivery. Compared to matrix patches, reservoir patches are better at handling the speed of CBD release.
- CBD patches are very easy to use. To apply a CBD patch, all users have to do is take away the protective film, put the patch on the dried skin, and wear it for the indicated timeframe, typically ranging from 6 to 96 hours.
- CBD patches work better when applied directly to the area with inflammation or pain. If customers need to increase CBD dosage, they can put on an additional CBD patch. When users want to stop CBD flow, they can take away the patch(es).
- Whenever an inflamed place is close to the knee, elbow, or joints, users should apply the patch to the body part that does not bend.
- In the case of inflammation covering a large area, users can place two or three patches for better results.
- Customers who intend to use CBD patches only for mood and sleep improvement can place patches anywhere.
- In some instances, matrix patches fail to provide a controlled and steady dose. CBD patches may not suit people with pains characterised by quick changes.
- There are potential minor adverse effects, similar to other CBD-infused products, such as dry mouth and nausea.
- However, the interaction between CBD and other drugs might bring additional side effects. For this reason, we always recommend consulting a healthcare professional before adding CBD to a daily regimen of prescribed drugs.